We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
All About Iron Deficiency in Children!
Located in our bodies amount of blood and blood valuesis vital. The smooth functioning of the body system and the ability of the organs to perform their functions can be achieved by maintaining these values at normal levels.
However, almost everyone, 'anemia', 'anemia', 'iron deficiency', such as the terms around certainly heard. Iron deficiency, the most common form of anemia, one of the leading chronic diseases of the society, is more common in women and children.
However, daily iron intake is very important for children to develop a healthy development both physically and mentally.Iron deficiency, especially in children, If it is not diagnosed and corrected early, it may cause some health problems and may cause permanent damage.
What is Iron Deficiency?
Hemoglobin, a kind of protein that gives the blood its red color, enables the oxygen coming to the lungs to be carried to the whole body. In the structure of hemoglobin, iron mineral is found.
Therefore, the decrease in the amount of hemoglobin in the blood, 'iron deficiency'.
Iron deficiency; excessive blood loss, bleeding, non-absorption of iron in the body, malnutritionSome diseases occur in such cases.
What are the symptoms of iron deficiency?
From the very first moment you hold your baby, you are very sensitive to its nutrition and development. Nevertheless, the data show that iron deficiency is present in one of every two children in our country.
Well in children iron deficiency symptoms What?
- Cracks and sores in the mouth and lips
- Fatigue and weakness
- Structural disorders and fractures in nails
- Concentration disorder and distraction
- Pale skin
- Hair loss
- Behavioral disorders (hyperactivity, aggressive attitudes, hyperactivity or introvertedness)
- Howling and ringing in the ears
- Retardation in mental development
- Slowdown in physical development
- The desire to eat inappropriate materials such as paper, soil (pica disease)
These symptoms can be observed more easily in children; In babies, symptoms such as loss of appetite, shortness of breath, moodiness, discoloration of palms and soles, late crawling-speaking-walking and sleep problems are observed.These findings observed in children, Symptoms of iron deficiency is considered. If you can detect these findings in your child, you should consult your doctor to investigate the causes of the problem.
Causes of Iron Deficiency in Children
You look after your baby the best, but he still suffers from iron deficiency. The first thing that comes to mind in this case, 'causes iron deficiency?'is the question.
There are many different causes of iron deficiency in children;
Excessive Cow Milk Consumption
Iron deficiency occurs in children who consume too much cow's milk. Cow's milk is very poor in iron value.
Cow milk given instead of breast milk cow's milk in infants or feeding program children with iron deficiency are therefore more likely to experience iron deficiency.
Malnutrition in Transition from Breast Milk to Supplementary Food
Breast milk provides all the necessary vitamins and minerals for babies for the first 6 months. At the end of 6 months, to meet the needs of the baby's body introduction of additional food must.
However, during this transition period, iron rich foods are not given to the baby, in short, if malnutrition occurs, iron deficiency may start to occur in infants.
You can click on the following links to our articles that will help you during the transition to additional food.
6 month baby feeding: // www. / 6 month-old infant-feeding /
Most useful supplementary foods for babies: // www. / Baby-on-the-most-useful-addition to foods /
Premature, Premature Babies
One of the reasons why breast milk is sufficient for iron needs of babies is the full blood supply of babies born on time.
Diseases that Prevent Iron Absorption
Some children's body does not absorb enough iron minerals. Some chronic diseases may be at the root of this problem.
Diseases such as celiac disease, Chron disease, It causes infants to fail iron absorption.
Increased Iron Need
There is an increase in the iron need of children who are in a period of rapid growth. This can lead to anemia.
On Facebook and YouTube Iron Deficiency Anemia in Children You can watch our live broadcast.
What Causes Iron Deficiency in Children?
If your child's hemoglobin levels in the blood have decreased and this persists for a long time, you may have some problems:
- One of these problems is the slowdown in physical development and the fact that your child is smaller than their peers. iron deficiency It is observed that the babies found are smaller and petite compared to their peers.
- Another problem is that your child has difficulty in learning and is difficult to perceive and learn. In particular, it can cause school-age children to fail in their classes and adversely affect their educational lives. Concentration disorder is one of these reasons.
- Children's hair follicles may weaken due to the body's capacity to carry oxygen hair loss livable.
- Children with iron deficiency may experience complaints such as shortness of breath, heart palpitations and chest pain.
- Decrease in mental activities is another problem that may occur in case of anemia. Hyperactivity and attention deficit may develop due to iron deficiency.
What Foods Are Good for Iron Deficiency?
In order to avoid iron deficiency in children, it is very important that parents take care of the child's diet.If children are fed with iron-rich foods, the iron depots will start to fill rapidly unless there is any absorption problem.
Foods good for iron deficiency;
- Red meat (veal, lamb, liver, etc.)
- White meat (fish such as chicken, salmon)
- Legumes (lentils, chickpeas, red beans)
- Nuts (walnuts, almonds, peanuts)
- Dried fruits (dried apricots, prunes, dried mulberries, raisins)
- Foods rich in vitamin C (orange, tomato, avocado, kiwi)
- Fruits like apples, pears, figs
- Green leafy vegetables (spinach, chard, nettle)
- Fresh vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, beans, peas
Iron Deficiency Treatment in Children
The most ideal way to treat iron deficiency in children of developmental age is to acquire healthy and balanced eating habits.
However, if iron deficiency progresses, iron-containing drugs (pills, drops or syrups) can be administered for up to 6 months. These drugs are given on an empty stomach; but if your child's stomach shows sensitivity, it is also appropriate to take it with food.
After the iron stores are filled, treatment is discontinued. The fastest and best way to get the treatment is the way, iron deficiency in children the causes will be identified and eliminated.